0
info@redzet.eu

Town & city » City » City

The Fish Path In The Līgatne RiverStairs In Cesis Castle Park
Read description
Stairs In Cesis Castle Park, Cēsu Pils parks, Cēsis, Kāpnes

Stairs In Cesis Castle Park

Code: V-2098
Author: Aivars Gulbis
Photo taken on August 21, 2020
FREE 1000 x 667 px
72 dpi
251 KB
S 1748 x 1165 px
14.8 x 9.87 cm / 300 dpi
MB
M 3000 x 2000 px
25.4 x 16.93 cm / 300 dpi
L 6000 x 4000 px
50.8 x 33.87 cm / 300 dpi
16.9 MB

Pils (Castle) Park is the most beautiful park and a favourite resting place all year long. The locals and the guests of the town have the opportunity to see the couple of white swans and to feed the ducks.

The Park dates back to 1812, when the Sievers family began to build the park in accordance with the fashionable landscape parks as a family recreation area with promenades. The park included Riekstu Hill, but the adjacent castle and the mirror image of the pond created the necessary romantic mood. The park is located 22 m below the New Castle area, so from the side the park visitors enter the park by using grand travertine staircase, which is decorated with themed children's figures. In the middle part of the souvenir kiosk today an open-air cafe operates, and a large open-air stage is used for a variety of cultural events.

The park is dominated by the pond, which is made at the lowest place of the surrounding terrain. In the centre of the pond, where there was already a fountain, now there is a sculpture – fountain set up in 1961 by the sculptor Andrejs Jansons sculpture - fountain “A fisherman with a cat fish”.

The park landscape is especially beautiful in winter, when everyone is invited to join the winter pleasures, to use the slopes of the park for sledging and to skate on the pond.
turisms.cesis.lv

History of the Park
Cēsis Castle Park`shi lls and ravines, cultural and historical monuments are located in one place.  This small area was the most favourable location for the successful creation of the park landscape more than 170 years. When forming landscape parks in Europe and Vidzeme other nobles also ordered artificial ruins to be built. Within Count`s Carl Gustav von Sievers territory, there already existed, Cēsis Castle stone ruins which were built during the reign of the Livonian Order, 14th – 16th century, which naturally formed part of the park’s landscape created during 1832 – 1833. In addition to the ruins, an integral part of the park,was used for Wends impressive and ancient Riekstu castle – hill silhouette (10th – 13th century), Cēsis manor buildings (18th – 19th century, 19th century brewery – predecessor of modern “Cēsis Beer” (Cēsu Alus) and Transfiguration of Christ Orthodox Church (consecrated in 1845) where Castle Park founder`s and his family cemetery is located.From the western edge of the park, overlooking the city’s modern skyline there are hospital buildings, terraced houses and apartment blocks.

According to the period and fashion, the Castle Park was designed by the castle-owner K.G. von Sievers (1772-1856) as a family recreation area with promenades. Riekstu hill was also included in the park, but the adjacent castle ruins and the mirror reflection of the pond created the necessary romantic mood. The description of Cēsis in the book “The Baltic provinces” (1841) J. Kols pointed to it as a favourite destination, “Students of Tartu, whose promised Land is Cēsis, frequently make trips on foot during summertime. Like Goethe followers to Harz, Heidelberg people to Odenwald and Breslaw people to Carpathians.”

In the mid 19th century the northern part of the park was included in the castle-landlords family walking route which also overlooked fields and a recreational area. The Park’s redevelopment plan, showed benches, gazebos and a patio. The Castle Park creators gave specific place names for the castle park objects. Carl Hill near the pond was named in honour of the castle park creator Count Carl Gustav von Sievers.  In 1908 his son Emanuel Sievers placed a bronze bust podium of Count Carl Gustaf von Sievers inscribed with his gallantry during the Napoleonic War (1812-1814) and Castle Manor development. Other places Carl Gustav devoted to his closest family members: Charlotte Island – in honour of his sister, Anna gates – sister; Alexander Hill – son, Minadora Hill with benches, and later with an arbour – daughter; Emanuel hill with terrace – son, resting places with benches he devoted to his daughter Sophie, her husband Gudim-Levkovich and granddaughter Sophie. He also created a viewing platform and benches on Rieksu hill devoting them to Minadora’s husband Muhanov, father`s cousin Elizabeth Ikskil. The park was a pleasant family garden haven, safe from townspeople’s curiosity – protected with a fence around the park. However, the park could be visited by travellers. In May 1874 Anton Birzgalis saw “that pond and that water, which also has two swans.” K. Bedeker’s guide “Russland” (1904) noted that for visiting the park and ruins, travellers have to pay 20 kopeck. It is thought that in the evening the park gates were closed and locked.

Parks became freely available to visitors and residents of Cēsis after Russian Tsar’s resignation from the throne in February 1917. From the 1920s until now, song festivals, theatre performances, concerts and balls have taken place. In the 1930s there were demonstrations of figure skating and ice skating for local people. Children’s enjoyed feeding the ducks and swans and sledging on steep slopes of the park.

From 1935 the City Council took over the maintenance and improvement of the park. Steps were built as a safe passage to the pond (J. Rozenberg’s project).  They are complemented by sculptor’s R. Āboltiņs travertine sculptures – figures of children at the step’s edges. At one end of the steps sculptor K. Jansons’ sculptures were installed. During the tourism campaign “Travel native land!” in 1936 a souvenir kiosk was built, which has remained unchanged in appearance until now. A small stage was built in 1938, it was extended in the 1960s. Also, the upper part of the steps were built in the 1960s. Also, in 1960s A. Jansons’ sculpture “Man with a catfish” was installed.

The park is still a favourite relaxation place for local people and visitors. The Latvian National Opera perform Imants Kalniņš music concerts, Art festivals are an indispensable event of the park and have become part of the Cēsis culture brand.
cesupils.lv

Stairs In Cesis Castle Park

Code: V-2098
Author: Aivars Gulbis
Photo taken on August 21, 2020
FREE 1000 x 667 px
72 dpi
251 KB
S 1748 x 1165 px
14.8 x 9.87 cm / 300 dpi
MB
M 3000 x 2000 px
25.4 x 16.93 cm / 300 dpi
L 6000 x 4000 px
50.8 x 33.87 cm / 300 dpi
16.9 MB
When choosing to browse our site, you consent to the use of cookies to tailor your experience.
Accept
Priecājamies dalīties ar savām fotogrāfijām!

Turpināt lejuplādēt

Ja vēlaties atbalstīt portālu ar savu brīvprātīgo ziedojumu tā attīstībai:
PayPal:
vai
Bankas pārskaitījums:
Aija Pastare
Konts: LV13HABA0551043352866