0
info@redzet.eu

Town & city » Architecture » Castle, ruins, manor

School in Renda (Latvia)
Read description
School in Renda (Latvia), Lielrendas muiža, Renda, Kuldīgas novads

School in Renda (Latvia)

Code: V-035-18
Author: Aivars Gulbis
Photo taken on April 13, 2018
FREE 1000 x 452 px
72 dpi
173 KB
L 6030 x 2724 px
51.05 x 23.06 cm / 300 dpi
12.4 MB

The new castle was built in the second half of the 19th century on the foundations of a former chemical factory. It is an English Neo-Gothic building with a side section built in the 1950s.

Renda village
Renda is a very old town, first mentioned in historical sources in 1230.  During the 13th century, Renda was one of the centres of the ancient Courlandian land of Vanema.  When Courland was split up in 1235, Renda was taken over by the German Order, and local residents were forcibly drafted into its military.  During the age of the Duchy of Courland (1562-1795), the region flourished despite wars, the bubonic plague and other problems, particularly during the rule of Duke Jacob (1642-1682).   During the 17th century, Renda became something of a manufacturing centre, churning out timber products, with local lime kilns, watermills, flax weaving facilities, a glass factory and a boiling house for saltpetre and soap.  Wine, perfumes and barrels were produced in Renda, as was cast iron for nails and many other things.  The court at the Jelgava Castle loved the sour wines from Renda.  All of this was destroyed during the Great Northern War (1700-1721).  During the 19th century, a chemicals factory was built on the site of the burned Renda castle, and nearby was one of the largest leather tanning plants in Kurzeme, along with a manufacturing facility for turpentine.  Cultural life began to develop in parallel to this.  Renda suffered much during the two world wars and the subsequent Soviet repressions.  The so-called Courelian Battalion of partisans went into the forests after the occupation to continue their struggle against the Soviet regime.  Renda today is a small and quiet village with the Lielrenda Estate, a local church, the “devil’s boat” at the Abava River, and the Īvande waterfalls.
www.celotajs.lv

School in Renda (Latvia)

Code: V-035-18
Author: Aivars Gulbis
Photo taken on April 13, 2018
FREE 1000 x 452 px
72 dpi
173 KB
L 6030 x 2724 px
51.05 x 23.06 cm / 300 dpi
12.4 MB
When choosing to browse our site, you consent to the use of cookies to tailor your experience.
Accept
Priecājamies dalīties ar savām fotogrāfijām! (Par mums)

Turpināt lejuplādēt

Portāla darbību varat atbalstīt, nopērkot kādu no fotogrāfijām augstākā kvalitātē vai ar brīvprātīgo ziedojumu:
PayPal:
vai
Bankas pārskaitījums:
Aija Pastare
Konts: LV13HABA0551043352866