0
info@redzet.eu

Daugavgrīva Lighthouse

Read description
Daugavgrīva Lighthouse, Rīga, Latvia, Daugavgrīvas bāka, Parastais pīlādzis, Sorbus aucuparia, Kāpas, Sērmūkslis

Daugavgrīva Lighthouse, Rīga, Latvia

Code: V-397-11
Author: Aivars Gulbis
Photo taken on August 20, 2011
FREE 1000 x 667 px
72 dpi
191 KB
S 1748 x 1165 px
14.8 x 9.87 cm / 300 dpi
MB
M 3000 x 2000 px
25.4 x 16.93 cm / 300 dpi
L 3888 x 2592 px
33 x 22 cm / 300 dpi
8.9 MB
XL 5735 x 3824 px
48.56 x 32.38 cm / 300 dpi
15.9 MB

Daugavgrīva Lighthouse (Latvian: Daugavgrīvas bāka) is a lighthouse located in Daugavgrīva on the Bay of Riga on the Latvian coast of the Baltic Sea. The lighthouse was built in 1956, located next to Daugava River. Due to the change in the river's course, several lighthouses have been built, destroyed, and rebuilt again over the course of history.

Daugavgrīva Lighthouse
 Location     Daugavgrīva, Latvia
 Year first constructed  1721 (first)
 1819 (second)
 1863 (third)
 1921 (fourth)
 Year first lit  1957 (current)
 Construction  concrete tower
 Tower shape  cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern
 Markings / pattern  white with black horizontal bands, red roof lantern
 Tower height  115 feet (35 m)
 Focal height  121 feet (37 m)
 Range  18 nautical miles (33 km; 21 mi)

History
The first lighthouse was constructed by Swedes at the turn of the 18th century, right where the present-day mouth of the Daugava River is flowing, into the Baltic Sea. Back then it was a stone layer with a signal fire on the top of the lighthouse. The next lighthouse was a wooden tower on a masonry foundation, which was demolished during the Crimean War in 1854, and instead, cannons were put on the masonry foundation for firing at ships of the British Royal Navy. Then, a fundamental cast-iron lighthouse was constructed in 1863. It stood until World War I, when the lighthouse was blown up by Russian military troops, who retreated to the east from Riga. The successor to the lighthouse was built in 1921 out of reinforced concrete, during Latvia’s period of independence in the Interwar Period. When the German infantry retreated westward towards the end of the Second World War. After World War II a temporary 20-metre lighthouse as built out of a wooden structure, but the lighthouse was devastated after a powerful storm. The current lighthouse was built between 1956 and 1957; with the first light glare shone on February 2, 1957. Currently the lighthouse is open for the public, with the top viewing gallery being accessed by one hundred and fifty spiral steps.
en.wikipedia.org

The lighthouse at Daugavgriva is one of the best known Latvia’s lighthouses. Its location is a common point of various historical events. The fast-changing stream of the Daugava River runs nearby. Owing to these circumstances, several towers of the Daugavgrīva lighthouse have been built, destroyed, and rebuilt again over the course of history. The first lighthouse was constructed by Swedes at the turn of the 18th century, right where the present-day mouth of the Daugava River is. Back then it was a stone layer with watch-fires at the top. The next lighthouse was a wooden tower on the masonry foundation. But it was demolished during the Crimean War in 1854, and instead, cannons were put on the masonry foundation for firing at the ships of the British Royal Navy. Then, a fundamental cast-iron lighthouse was erected in 1863. It stood till World War I, when it was blown up by the Russian military troops as they retreated eastward from Riga. The same fate befell the lighthouse made of the reinforced concrete, which was built in 1921 during Latvia’s period of independence. This time it was exploded by the German troops as they retreated from Riga in the opposite direction – westward. After the war, a temporary 20 m tall wooden tower of the lighthouse was constructed, but was devastated again by a powerful storm in autumn 1956. But soon enough, a new reinforced-concrete Daugavgrīva lighthouse, painted with black-and-white horizontal stripes, began to send its light on February 2, 1957, and broadcasts its signals up to the present day. Enjoy the view from the lighthouse, after climbing a spiral staircase of one hundred and fifty steps inside the tower, overlooking the Daugava River, its mouth, the Port of Riga, and Riga skyline.
Andris Cekuls
bakas.lv/en

Daugavgrīva Lighthouse, Rīga, Latvia

Code: V-397-11
Author: Aivars Gulbis
Photo taken on August 20, 2011
FREE 1000 x 667 px
72 dpi
191 KB
S 1748 x 1165 px
14.8 x 9.87 cm / 300 dpi
MB
M 3000 x 2000 px
25.4 x 16.93 cm / 300 dpi
L 3888 x 2592 px
33 x 22 cm / 300 dpi
8.9 MB
XL 5735 x 3824 px
48.56 x 32.38 cm / 300 dpi
15.9 MB
Image fragments:
When choosing to browse our site, you consent to the use of cookies to tailor your experience.
Accept
Priecājamies dalīties ar savām fotogrāfijām!

Turpināt lejuplādēt

Ja vēlaties atbalstīt portālu ar savu brīvprātīgo ziedojumu tā attīstībai:
PayPal:
vai
Bankas pārskaitījums:
Aija Pastare
Konts: LV13HABA0551043352866